Alert citizen helps police officers nab burglary suspect | News
JAMES ISLAND, SC (WCSC)- Police say an alert citizen helped officers catch a 28-year-old man suspected of stealing electronic equipment from an apartment on James Island.
The Charleston Police Department charged Steven Alonzo Smalls with second-degree burglary and grand larceny.
Officers were responding to a burglary on Stefan Drive around 12:30 p.m. on Thursday when they were told a witness had seen the suspect leave the area. The witness gave police a description of the suspect, the vehicle he was driving and the license plate number.
With the information provided by the witness, officers say they were able to identify and locate the owner of the vehicle.
Smalls was arrested around 3:30 p.m. on Friday when he returned the vehicle to its owner. He was locked up at the Charleston County Detention Center.
Police are continuing the investigation.
Copyright WCSC 2012. All rights reserved.
Top James Island Stories
Upcoming Events near James Island
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 'Little Shop of Horrors' hits the West Ashley HS stage
- West Ashley HS students pledge to 'W8 2 TXT', win 1,000 Subway subs
- Film documents Charleston FD's recovery after Sofa Super Store fire
- Holy City to announce Iron Brew II special ingredient tonight
- Police: Suspect attacked his children's mom and their crying baby